Please join us in wishing a fond farewell and our hearty thanks to BikeDenver Advocacy Director Maggie Thompson! She’ll will be moving on in mid-June and joining the bicycle industry as Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop’s new General Manager.
At BikeDenver, Maggie came on board as the organization’s second full time staff member in October, 2010. Prior to her time at BikeDenver, Maggie was a key staff member at Bicycle Colorado and at the Washington Area Bicyclist’s Association.
Since October 2010, she helped BikeDenver to:
- Establish high-level relationships with City Council and strengthen ties to Denver’s Public Works and Parks & Recreation departments
- Launch Denver’s 1st Ciclovia event with LiveWell Colorado
- Partner with Denver Parks & Recreation to introduce Denver’s 1st urban bicycle park at Barnum Park
- Secure a Public Works Complete Streets policy that ensures Denver streets will be built and maintained for all user groups
- Collaborate with the University of Colorado at Denver’s Auraria Campus and RTD to increase access and ease for bicyclists on campus and on trains
- Advocate for timely completion of and appropriate bicycle accommodation on the Colorado Bike-Ped bridge
- Advocate for a permanent bike parking facility and additional bike parking options as a part of the Union Station redevelopment project
- Double the amount of bike lanes in Denver
- Play a leading role to support Denver achieving the League of American Bicyclists’ Silver Ranking as a Bicycle Friendly Community
BikeDenver Executive Director Piep van Heuven says: “It’s been terrific to work with Maggie and we are really grateful for her leadership and vision during a key growth period for the organization. I’m pleased to know that Maggie will be able to continue to advocate for bicycling and maintain her close ties with the bicycle community from her new vantage point at Salvagetti.”
A board and staff transition team is currently in place to manage the staff transition period.
Want a sneak peak of Maggie in action for BikeDenver? Check it out!